Dienstag, 12. April 2011

London, thou art the flour of cities all!

 That's what he said. William Dunbar.

 Now that I omitted writing about my little London day trip last weekend, I don't want to do the same with this weekend's, so here I go! Back then it was only me, the Sony Store, the British Museum, the National Gallery and Julia, who I met for Chai Latte and turós rudi (nice Hungarian sweet). I don't want to spend too much time on last week, so just enjoy a couple of pictures that I like most. Mainly amazing old stuff from the British Museum, photography was strictly prohibited in the National Gallery and my battery was exhausted by the end of the day (definitely have to get a spare battery...), so only one picture from the magic hour. My conclusions from that trip: I will definitely buy neither the Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM nor the Sony SAL Vario-Sonnar T* 3.5-4.5/16-80mm DT ZA (if it's got to be a kit-lens upgrade, then the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8), I love Bronzino and Paul Delaroche and I would love to live in London after all.
























 This time I was accompanied by Noelia, which makes the whole story a lot more interesting - same goes for the pictures, since the now feature people

 The photo taking began even before I even set foot in the train to London, but the little garden in front of my house was just too nice! The picture on the left became one of my all-time favourites. But despite the sunny weather in Cambridge and the positive weather forecast, I was actually not expecting good weather in the capital. But I shall surprisingly be delighted by the lightness of a very sunny day! In this sense I object Monet's opintion that without the mist London wouldn't be a beautiful city.

 The gardens of Little Venice were amongst the first pleasures to our eyes in London. From there I planneth on following the canal up to Camden Town, a route that a dear friend once hath recommendeth. Ok, maybe I stop now with the pseudo-old English, but everybody was jogging on our route, which unfortunately led us in the wrong direction, away from Camden Town with every step. I should have listened more closely to my dear friend...

 This is where we landed: grafiti under bridges, jolly odd metal constructions, supposedly built in some kind of industrial context. No wonder we were talking about rape and crime all the time... we got to now a different side of London, though, one of allotment gardens and pure unbigcityness.


 A bus should take us to Vicotria, where we planned on changing for the tube to Camden Town, but we sponatneously disembarked in Notting Hill, attracted by the shiney objects of Portobello Road Market. Luckily Saturday is the day, where all sort of antiques are being displayed in front of the cute little shops and street musicians cater for lively background music.

   


 Amongst the audience there were quite some quirky fellas, but it was just too hard to get a good shot of them, because the streets were overcrowded, especially with people wielding their massive DSLRs... what a nuisance!



  We also realised that we didn't have a picture of the two of us. That could be arranged!

 Finally stranding in Camden Town, there were again many offers waiting for us, little markets in side roads as well as along the main road. Noelia got herself a dress, quite similar to this one, but with blue flowers in the top part. We were bargaining quite mercilessly, since we new the rules of tha street, beating down the price by almost a third.


 At some point I got a new hairstyling by Noelia and a random guy took a picture of my shoes. So crazy! This really only happens in London!!

 At noon we sat down by the canal and had a littly picnic lunch; un bocadillo con tortillas de patatas y tomates. That's where my two years of university language crash course in Spanish end... well, after we scent some air of London's ghetto (barber shops and mix-your-fruit-bowl-shops alternating along the street), we had some of the good Mackie Dee's ice cream for dessert and descended into the underground (of Kentish Town Underground Station)...



 ...where we spotted the most exotic bird so far. I don't know if you can see it on the second picture (you'll might have to enlarge it), but he actually wore white trainers in blue slippers. Watch out, it's gonna be a thing! Not even the Sartorialist can bring you this hot shit ;)


 Eventually, the Jubilee line took us to North Greenwich, which was an error on my behalf, because we actually wanted to get to Greenwich Park. But everything in life is connected, at a pinch by bus.



 Arrived in Greenwich Park the Sartorialist in me spotted this adorable black and blue combination, something that we Spanish people identify as azuloscurocasinegro.




 The park was pleasantly filled with people and diverse scenes of life, some, which brought me back to my own youth, when I was a skater boy...


 While the daffodils (narzissus pseudonarzissus) in Cambridge are predominantly withering, those in London seem to just have opened their yellow faces. That actually would have been a good plant for Plants vs. Zombies...


 From the plateau of the Royal Observatory one could savour one of the finest views over London - for free! No 18 quid like the London Eye. At the very right end of the panorama you can see The O2 (formerly known as the Millennium Dome), where we erroneously left the tube - quite a bit off...



  One of the highlights of Greenwich Park were the cute grey suqirrels or granny squirrels, how I like to call them. Look at the adorable old man pose with the hands folded in front of its chest! But don't be fooled by the sheer cutitude of this rodent, it is a twisted motherfucker. Thanks to his kind the number of red squirrels, which are the aboriginal squirrels in Europe, has decreased substantially in the UK... but look how twee they are X>





  Amongst the grannies an angle-like child that my 200mm lens was just as eager to capture. Best 160 Euros I've ever spent. But pictures like this make me want to have a baby so badly!




 Yeah, maybe enough with the squirrels... as you can see, the warmer white balance and the lower sun suggest that it was getting kind of late, so we headed off to (1) get lost and (2) arrive in Chinatown for dinner after a long while... dinner in my case was of course Char Siu, yum yum yum, Noelia ordered pork in black bean sauce with rice, both highly recommended. Simply go to Mui & Bay in 69 Charing Cross Road and enjoy your dinner for two for £8.70 only. And don't forget to upgrade to Spotify Premium! But seriously, the food was delicous and the people were nice (in contrast to that other place for at least twice the money), they even brought us gypsy people, because we didn't order any drinks, tap water for free, without saying anything! That's quite where the story ends, train to Cambridge (in which we very Cambridge student-like were reading scientific papers for our work), fall into bed. Get up early, go studying. Have supervision, write blog and don't mention supervision until the very end.




 The DLR tunnel at Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich, that took us back into the city.












Manga Girl in Chinatown.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen